Ho's here name was "Shirley"... Chapter 1

Several months after Mom's death I decided to head back out on the road and begin the healing process.
Driving down the blacktop has always given me a way to let go.
So on this early summer day in East New Mexico along a lonely stretch of Interstate 40, I cruised up beside a old beaten Chevy with Oregon plates. Now whenever on the road I'm always curious as to the license plates. Why? It seems sometimes the license plate can tell a story.
Behind the wheel of this jalopy was an older woman, about the age of my now deceased Mom.
From what I could see as I rolled up beside her, the first thing I noticed was the sweat she was wiping from her face. She looked really tired, and I'm sure seeing that it was way over 100 degrees, she was suffering from the heat. The obvious was that she had several items stacked behind her.
She must be moving, or traveling I thought.
Now Ho's whenever I see a car in the shape of this one, and plates from some far off distance as it had.
My next wondering at this moment are how far the car will make it before it breaks down.
Several miles later this woman is still on my mind. I say a pray for her.

Coming into a Tucumcari NM. I decide to stop at the local McD's for a dollar burger for my dog and stretch my legs.
Ordering at the counter, I look to my right and sitting in a both is the same woman who was driving the car earlier on the interstate. The overwhelming urge to walk over and speak with her is killing me. What do I say? Why do I even want to talk to her?
She gets up and heads to the door, I open the door for her. She smiles and says "thank you".
In the next blink of an eye, I take out $100 bill hand it to her and say "Don't ask me why, but for some reason I'm suppose to give you this"
She looks down at the money. Her eyes grow wide, and she says "I will only take this money on one condition and that is if you will allow me to sing you a song"
Standing there in the parking lot of McDonalds on a hot summer day I began to cry as a stranger sang to me a song about losing someone, and meeting God.
to be continued...

Comments

Anonymous said…
You had me at "ho". That's an incredible story. Can't wait to read the rest of it!
Joy said…
Wow! I know what you mean. You're such a compassionate, insightful person. Many hugs!!
Mr.Mischief said…
Really cool story :)
kim said…
this is the stuff of great books, Sam...you should seriously think of writing your travel adventures in a book, I'd be first in line :)

Popular posts from this blog

This.

HOWDY!!