Lump this.

When I started driving a truck the thought that I would have to hire someone to take whatever I was hauling off of it never crossed my mind. Doesn't whoever buys the meat, veggies, or perishables just unload it at their facility?
Yes, they unload it. But who separates the lettuce from the onions? Who divides the beef chuck from the prime rib boxes?
This is today's trucking lesson. When you deliver a load to say "Wally World's Distribution Centers" the first thing the receiver ask you is "Do you want to lump this yourself?" or "Will you be hiring a lumper?"
So just what is a lumper?
n. 1. A laborer who is employed to load or unload vessels, or trucks
Most receivers have a lumper service in-house on a pay for hire basis.
The pay is based on what your hauling, how it breaks down, and how much is unloaded.
A breakdown sheet shows how the receiver wants their product staked.

The typical full load of meat can range from a min. of $100 to $250
Each load is different. Now you don't have to hire a lumper, You can unload the product and pay yourself.
So there you go good buddies, some cash for old fashioned labor. Bill, and I often unload our own load, this gets us some much needed exercise not to mention that the cash is a welcomed incentive.
Buckle up, and let's ride

Comments

So *that's* what I've been having Gorilla Boy do while he's home!
Unknown said…
Wow, I never had a clue. But I bet it feels good to get out of the seat and move around.
Mr.Mischief said…
Hell ya, especially being laid off again for the third time this year I'd do my own lumping for sure!
Joy said…
I had no idea about that, either. That would be a good way to get some exercise after being in the truck so long. Good about the money, too.

This truck driving has so much more to it than I ever imagined!
I need to hire a lumper for when I come home form Sam's Club!
Dan said…
I used to do this for my step dad. I hated it, but it gave me money.
Wonder Man said…
I know...sounds a little stressful

Popular posts from this blog

This.

HOWDY!!