Remembrance USS Arizona
%2520Memorial%2520Ray%2520Sandla1.jpg)
In Honor of this Memorial Day, and the service men and women who have, and do serve our great country this blog will pay homage to something I feel has been quietly forgotten.
Last Year my annual trip to Hawaii included my first trip to Honolulu, and Pearl Harbor.
Pearl Harbor on that early morning in April could have not been more perfect. Growing up I knew of this place only by books and movies made of it, This would all change on Sunday April 13Th, 2008
Heading to the USS Arizona My Sis, and I briefly explained to my nieces (8 and 12) the Memorial. Needless to say I repeated what I read, not being prepared for the powerful, moving experience that lay ahead. To be honest, after arriving I found myself swept up in the history of Pearl Harbor, becoming somewhat saddened by my ignorance.
Viewing the USS Arizona is a moving experience, I'm so thankful that I did see it.
My very simple words can not explain to any of you reading this the impact this Memorial had on me, or my family.
I'm posting a link to the website, I highly recommend it. http://www.nps.gov/usar/index.htm
My personal opinion is that younger Americans, including myself had or have forgotten this moving, and powerful place in History.
The Memorial after 41 years is in need of a touch up, and as we speak they are currently renovating the Visitor's Center. They sell memento's including gold coins minted just adjacent to the Memorial, that help fund this cause. I'm including a picture of one keepsake I've treasured ever since my visit last year.

To the 1,177 soldiers that lay with the USS Arizona, Thank you and God Bless.
I will remember always
Comments