Strap Up Biatches, It's time to ride again
Well here we are back in the saddle again. After a much needed rest, and time at the Casa it's time to ride again. Driving all night in the Southern Arizona Desert, we have made it to Yuma, AZ for the last of the winter's run on produce.
From about late December, early Jan. produce production shifts from the Central California Coast ( Salinas, Gonzales,Watsonville, and Castroville area) to Yuma AZ. Within about the 4 month run most of the lettuce in the U.S. is grown, and shipped out from right here. Late March is the end of this run, and the migrants, and companies start their trek back up North.
Lettuce isn't the only thing that comes to Yuma for the winter. During the winter months, Yuma is alive with Geritol. Yes Good Buddies the Snow Bunnies are here in full force.
Now don't think I have anything against Seniors in the world. Hell I can't wait to get to Death's front door step so I can go out and by myself the biggest, baddest, and fastest Motorhome available.
Honey, I have seen it all out here on the road. But the funniest thing ever was when I came up over a hill outside of Flagstaff AZ one morning. A top the hill I started noticing things that might be found in a pantry. Can foods, and dishes followed by Styrofoam, and metal pieces which then turned into clothing of all types. Years of driving have taught me this, if there are all kinds of shit in the road, then something bad has happened. Around the curve, shit was scattered across the whole road covering even the asphalt. Girls it was an explosion of all thing found in a typical house, and out of the corner of my eye I noticed something I had never seen before.
Resting in an empty field was what appeared to be the bottom shell of a motorhome. All the siding, windows, furniture, cabinets, etc etc.. were missing. All that was left was a steering wheel, the bottom frame, four wheels, and two front seats. Under the steering wheel buckled up was an old man of about 80, in the passenger seat was his wife also in her late 80's. The both of them were dazed but, unharmed. The look they had as they sat there I will never forget, the old man still had his seat belt on, holding the steering wheel. His wife on the other hand was calmly sitting in the passenger seat looking around as if she were at the drive-thru wildlife ranch. It can only be described as a What the hell kinda of look.
Running past the can foods, and granny panties my first worry for the elderly couple was death from shock. But upon arriving at the disaster I knew one thing for sure.
Grover, and Essie's (names have been changed to protect the innocent) life would never, ever be the same. Gone were the carefree days of rolling down the highway. Say hello to Krusty Acres.
Grover said the last thing he'd seen before closing his eyes to meet God was a stray dog darting across the road. He was soon interrupted, and corrected by Essie informing him in the firmest of voices that what he said was a dog, was in fact a deer. Essie then began to recant the whole story from when they fueled up back in Colorado the day before, all the way to coming to a stop there in the pasture. This included the lord's prayer as the madness played out before her eyes.
She omitted nothing in her reenactment.
Her story began fairly normal enough, lots of sightseeing, spectacular views, and plenty of pictures. The one thing she did mention over, and over again was Grover's need for speed. This would eventually be his undoing.
Essie said "We topped the hill, and immediately it was evident Grover, and I would die" Well, when asked exactly the reason for their demise. Essie simply said "When you nod off at the wheel, don't ever, ever snatch the wheel to the right when you wake up"
Grover over corrected and grazed the metal railing which in turn began the peeling of aluminum from their custom home on wheels. By the time they made the ditch, Essie said they were in full convertible mode.
The rest was mumbled, and incoherent. But I had seen this a million times. Motorhomes, and travel trailers often do become big balls of nothing after leaving pavement.
Years have passed, and I often think about Grover, and Essie. Do they sit around, and laugh about it as much as I do?
Well as winter ends, us truckers have a few things more we have to look out for. The first being the Grover, and Essie's of the world making the trip back home to Wisconsin for the summer. The second being Jr. and Mary Jo taking the family on the summer vacation.
God Bless us all.
Enough of memory lane, it's time to step on the gas and go fast. Say you wanta see the world, with the wind blowing in your hair? Well Ho your at the right blogspot.
Let's Ride Ho's
From about late December, early Jan. produce production shifts from the Central California Coast ( Salinas, Gonzales,Watsonville, and Castroville area) to Yuma AZ. Within about the 4 month run most of the lettuce in the U.S. is grown, and shipped out from right here. Late March is the end of this run, and the migrants, and companies start their trek back up North.
Lettuce isn't the only thing that comes to Yuma for the winter. During the winter months, Yuma is alive with Geritol. Yes Good Buddies the Snow Bunnies are here in full force.
Now don't think I have anything against Seniors in the world. Hell I can't wait to get to Death's front door step so I can go out and by myself the biggest, baddest, and fastest Motorhome available.
Honey, I have seen it all out here on the road. But the funniest thing ever was when I came up over a hill outside of Flagstaff AZ one morning. A top the hill I started noticing things that might be found in a pantry. Can foods, and dishes followed by Styrofoam, and metal pieces which then turned into clothing of all types. Years of driving have taught me this, if there are all kinds of shit in the road, then something bad has happened. Around the curve, shit was scattered across the whole road covering even the asphalt. Girls it was an explosion of all thing found in a typical house, and out of the corner of my eye I noticed something I had never seen before.
Resting in an empty field was what appeared to be the bottom shell of a motorhome. All the siding, windows, furniture, cabinets, etc etc.. were missing. All that was left was a steering wheel, the bottom frame, four wheels, and two front seats. Under the steering wheel buckled up was an old man of about 80, in the passenger seat was his wife also in her late 80's. The both of them were dazed but, unharmed. The look they had as they sat there I will never forget, the old man still had his seat belt on, holding the steering wheel. His wife on the other hand was calmly sitting in the passenger seat looking around as if she were at the drive-thru wildlife ranch. It can only be described as a What the hell kinda of look.
Running past the can foods, and granny panties my first worry for the elderly couple was death from shock. But upon arriving at the disaster I knew one thing for sure.
Grover, and Essie's (names have been changed to protect the innocent) life would never, ever be the same. Gone were the carefree days of rolling down the highway. Say hello to Krusty Acres.
Grover said the last thing he'd seen before closing his eyes to meet God was a stray dog darting across the road. He was soon interrupted, and corrected by Essie informing him in the firmest of voices that what he said was a dog, was in fact a deer. Essie then began to recant the whole story from when they fueled up back in Colorado the day before, all the way to coming to a stop there in the pasture. This included the lord's prayer as the madness played out before her eyes.
She omitted nothing in her reenactment.
Her story began fairly normal enough, lots of sightseeing, spectacular views, and plenty of pictures. The one thing she did mention over, and over again was Grover's need for speed. This would eventually be his undoing.
Essie said "We topped the hill, and immediately it was evident Grover, and I would die" Well, when asked exactly the reason for their demise. Essie simply said "When you nod off at the wheel, don't ever, ever snatch the wheel to the right when you wake up"
Grover over corrected and grazed the metal railing which in turn began the peeling of aluminum from their custom home on wheels. By the time they made the ditch, Essie said they were in full convertible mode.
The rest was mumbled, and incoherent. But I had seen this a million times. Motorhomes, and travel trailers often do become big balls of nothing after leaving pavement.
Years have passed, and I often think about Grover, and Essie. Do they sit around, and laugh about it as much as I do?
Well as winter ends, us truckers have a few things more we have to look out for. The first being the Grover, and Essie's of the world making the trip back home to Wisconsin for the summer. The second being Jr. and Mary Jo taking the family on the summer vacation.
God Bless us all.
Enough of memory lane, it's time to step on the gas and go fast. Say you wanta see the world, with the wind blowing in your hair? Well Ho your at the right blogspot.
Let's Ride Ho's
Comments
PS: my captcha code is too good to ignore: systr! lovesit.
Grover and Essie?????
Love Donna, Hoss, Scrappy
Damn I feel like I have all these alter egos inside me.