Cash, Ass, or Diesel


O.k. here's the deal.
So many people ask me if truckers carry alot of cash around for fuel, and misc. Nope, its not needed, and the trucking world's currency of choice is not cash. Although cash is still used by Owner/Operators exclusively. Anyho cash is only needed for a lot lizard, or good buddie fix.
The majority of truckers, and trucking companies use a financial system that specializes in the transportation industry. There are only a handful of these companies so to keep it simple, I will talk directly about the most popular.
Comdata is a banking division of Wells Fargo West. The way Comdata works is like this. Your company would open an account. Next they would set up a direct deposit of some sort to transfer money into said account. How do you, or the drivers get the money? Well honey you get a debt/charge like card from comdata, or paper checks also known as Comchecks, and these are found anywhere diesel is sold. Most all truck stops take the comdata card, and comchecks. The card can also be used at an ATM that services VISA cards. The checks have an authorization system that allows the check to be guaranteed. Once that money is attached to that check number it's a done deal. Until then the checks have no value whatsoever. Oh once the money runs out your card will go into a locked status until the company, or you put more money into the Comdata account. That happens alot if you are burning through $20,000 worth of fuel every month. Can anyone use the card? Yes. Do you need I.D.? No. WTF no ID needed? No, when you go to use your card the place honoring it will ask you the info needed to make the charge. For example: Truck Number,Trailer Number, employee id, or code, truck license number, etc...you must have all the info or the card will not work. Some bigger companies know the exact mileage on their trucks so when you go to pay for your fuel if you get just one digit off, your card will not work.
If someone just happens to have all the info, well then yes ho you've just been got.
How do companies keep drivers honest? It's really fool proof.
Companies will have preset fuel route, including fuel purchases. Meaning you buy the amount of fuel your company wants, where it wants. Plus it can be programmed to work once in every certain amount of hours.
And all this info comes to you through a GPS communication system that I will tell you about on our next ride.
So until then,
Let's Ride Ho's





Comments

David Dust said…
Damn, I thought you just pulled in and said "Fill 'er up!".

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO
Sam said…
DD, yeah fill'er up ho. Oh my I'm going to leave it alone
xoxoxoxo
when i worked for my little part of central transport i was in charge of balancing out the comcheck account and matching the data to driver receipts.

good times!


xxalainaxx
Anonymous said…
wow I had wondered in all our travels what they did to keep fuel in those trucks, seriously this is interesting to know. I always wanted to be a truck driver since I was a lil squirt.
I remeber when Dad ran around with a Com checkbook
Those were good days
Damn I miss him
Love ya
Hoss
I thought you just stuck your nozzle in the little hole and then the magic happened. Who knew it was so complicated?!
Joy said…
It's interesting to learn all this. Keep on with the lessons, Teacher Tugboat! :-)

Popular posts from this blog

This.

HOWDY!!